As winter comes to an end, partake in your last steaming bowl of chili!
Filomena's white chicken chili is a big, delicious crowd pleaser and is sure to fill every belly sitting around your table, while providing optimal nutrition. Win-win-win.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, drained, divided
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth (optional)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional: 4 tablespoons of cream cheese and a dollop of sour cream
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chicken, sausage, and onion in oil until lightly browned. Add celery, bell pepper, garlic; cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in the chilies, cumin, bay leaves, oregano, and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth. Add to saucepan. Add remaining beans to saucepan. If you like a little more liquid in your chili, add the broth. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Add cheese to melt. Top with Forager Mike’s Spirulina for unbelievable added flavor.
- I also like to add 4 tablespoons of cream cheese, and some sour cream to make a richer sauce.
Show some love for our small organic company and comment below to let us know if you like this recipe. Thanks for cooking with us!