It’s December and we’re all about bone broth at Forager Mike’s. Surely you’ve heard of people drinking bone broth for increased overall and gut health by now, right? With winter hitting and moving full steam ahead, now is the perfect time to integrate this new (and easy) habit in your day-to-day life.
Bone broth is known to heal the skin, gut, GI tract, aid in digestion, or help you beat the cold/flu.
Bone broth is a “Mineral-rich liquid that carries the essence of vitally nutritious vegetables, herbs, & spices in a way that is easy for the body to digest, assimilate, and utilize.” (Medical Medium) It is chock full of vitamins, minerals, protein, amino acids, collagen, and glycine which are key ingredients to help your body repair itself!
Here’s the beautiful part of bone broth: it’s easy for busy people. And busy people are usually the ones that need that extra immune boost, right? It’s perfect because you can make this in your crockpot and leave it unattended for two days while it cooks down and because you can make mass quantities of the broth and store it in individual serving-size bags.
For really busy people, you can buy good pre-made broth in grocery stores or online at places like Kettle and Fire.
How do we recommend consuming the broth? Replace your afternoon cup of coffee or evening tea with a piping hot cup of broth. Filomena, Forager Mike’s owner, says, “This is one of those comfort foods. If you are feeling sad, a cup of broth can lift your spirits. You slow down and sip your broth and count your blessings.” Or sub your normal boxed/canned chicken broth with your homemade bone broth! Add it to soup, chili, stew, or most any recipe that requires stock, water, or another type of liquid.
For those of you watching your daily calorie intake, drink your broth before a meal to help cut down on what you actually eat at that meal.
Add a few dashes of our DANG! Good hot sauce to give this nourishing broth a little extra health benefit.
We hope y’all enjoy this pleasurable and positive addition to your day-to-day health!
*Dang! Healing Broth (recipe adapted from The Tender Foodie recipe):
- 6-8 organic, grass-fed beef bones, roasted (turkey or chicken can be used with the same benefits as well)
- 1 spring of fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup of onion
- 4-6 stalks of celery
- 2 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1 capful of Dang! Maca and add to taste
- Keep the bones covered with water (no exact amount)
Place bones in a roasting pan and roast in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes until browned.
Put all of the ingredients in a crock pot. Start on high for the first 2 hours, then reduce to low. After the first 6 hours of cooking you can begin drinking. Just scoop out what you need and strain through a fine mesh strainer, to keep any bone fragments from getting in your cup. Replace taken or evaporated broth with water. You can keep the pot going for about 5 days if you do this.
- The addition of DANG! Good Maca or DANG! Good Spirulina will not only add a new taste dimension to the broth but it is an additional superfood to pack into this already nutritiously dense broth!
- The extra simmering time of your broth and added apple cider vinegar leaches minerals, collagen and gelatin from the bones into the broth. This is a key ingredient!
- We recommend you buy grass-fed meat bones from your local butcher or market, if possible!